Are you looking for a natural way to whiten your teeth, freshen your breath, improve gum and overall health??? Of Course you are!!! I really want yellow teeth, gingivitis, and bad breath said no one ever!!! If you know me, you know that I am a huuuuuuuuge fan of coconut oil for so many things. I mean, if you have an ailment, chances are you can use coconut oil to fix it or at least make it better. But, Did you know that you can use it to brighten that smile, prevent tooth decay, bad breath, gingivitis and improve your oral health? Let me tell you about something called Oil Pulling. Have you heard of it???
Used primarily in Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling, specifially coconut oil pulling, is a fantastic oral detoxification procedure that’s simply done by swishing a tablespoon of oil (typically coconut oil, olive or sesame oil) in your mouth for 10–20 minutes. Coconut oil pulling is one of the best ways to remove bacteria and promote healthy teeth and gums. In fact, it’s been proven to be even more effective than flossing, and it’s one of the best ways to whiten teeth naturally. Yes please! I mean, if you want your selfie game to be on point, then I strongly urge you to read on.
Oil pulling works by cleaning (detoxifying) the oral cavity in a similar way that soap cleans dirty dishes. It literally sucks the dirt (toxins) out of your mouth and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environment that contributes to the proper flow of saliva that’s needed to prevent cavities and disease. In fact, this unbelievably effective procedure has been used for centuries as a traditional Indian remedy to:
- Treat tooth decay
- Kill bad breath
- Heal bleeding gums
- Prevent heart disease
- Reduce inflammation
- Whiten teeth
- Soothe throat dryness
- Prevent cavities
- Heal cracked lips
- Boost the immune system
- Improve acne
- Strengthen gums and jaws
Pretty cool, don't you think? So......if you’re looking for whiter teeth, there is no better, safer whitening practice than coconut oil pulling, which has a host of other benefits beyond making those teeth look great. Like I said earlier, you can use olive, sesame or coconut oil when pulling. Personally, I use coconut oil because of its anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties, not to mention that it is more tolerable to swish around my mouth for 15-20 minutes. Check out some of the other reasons why this morning ritual should become part of your routine.
Why use coconut oil for oil pulling? Because coconut oil has been shown to:
- Balance hormones
- Kill candida
- Improve digestion
- Moisturize skin
- Reduce cellulite
- Decrease wrinkles and age spots
- Improve energy
- Balance Blood Sugar
- Improve Alzheimer’s
- Increase HDL cholesterol (the good stuff) and lower LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff)
- Burn fat
And, since coconut oil is highly absorbable, you can experience many of these benefits simply by oil pulling. It's important to note that you should be sure to use unrefined coconut oil to ensure there are no additives to it. Unrefined coconut oil is pure, natural coconut oil that won’t contain any harmful unnatural substances.
Coconut Oil Pulling: How-To
This is how I like to do coconut oil pulling:
- Make sure to oil pull first thing in the morning right after you get out of bed — before you brush your teeth or drink anything. How about while you're in the shower or packing the kids' lunches? This is multi-tasking at its best!
- Gently swish 1–2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth and between your teeth for 10–20 minutes, making sure that you don’t swallow any of the oil- Also important because you are removing bacteria and toxins from you body and don't want them to be ingested. Do this gently so you don’t wear out your jaw and cheeks!
- Spit out the oil in the trash (not the sink so it doesn’t clog up the plumbing), and immediately rinse your mouth out with warm water (use salt water for added antimicrobial properties).
- Finally, brush your teeth as normal.
- Voila, easy as that!
I recommend oil pulling three to four times per week with coconut oil initially for about a month and then 1 time a week after that for maintenance.
So, get ready to smile Big at all your holiday soirees and add coconut oil pulling to your morning routine. Your dentist and s/o will thank you!
Cheers to creating a body and life you love!