Yesterday, our neighbor Nicoli brought us a basket of green tomatoes. I knew immediately what I wanted to do with them. If and when I want something fried, it will usually be fried green tomatoes. This is a “healthy-ish” tapas that’s perfect when you want light bite.
i’ve had a bunch of teenage boys in the house today, so I decided to make a big batch. Sunday nights are usually casual around here, so tapas are often on the menu. I paired them with this “comeback” sauce, a tray of salami, cheese, cucumbers and some watermelon.
Needless to say, they were a hit. Let me know if you try them and if your family likes them as much as mine do.
- 3 large green tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour(I like Bob’s 1:1)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (ground red pepper)
- avocado oil, coconut oil or olive oil, for frying
Sprinkle the sliced tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Let sit for at least 20 minutes to draw out moisture.
Using three shallow bowls, place the flour in one bowl, the beaten eggs in another, and the Panko, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cayenne in the last bowl. Mix the Panko mixture well.
Working one slice at a time, dredge the tomatoes in the flour, then the eggs, and finally coat well with the Panko. Shake off excess.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the tomatoes, working in batches if needed, for 2-3 minutes, turn and fry for an additional minute or two. Turn the heat down if the tomatoes are browning too fast. Remove from the oil with tongs, draining excess oil, onto a paper towel lined oven safe plate or sheet pan. Keep warm in a 215 degree F oven.
These bad boys are deliciously themselves, but if you want a really good dipping sauce, try this.
- ½ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce (like Texas Pete)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Cover and store refrigerated until ready to serve.
Let me know if you try it! And if there’s a recipe you’d like to see, let me know that too.