I totally get the appeal of something warm and cozy as the weather turns chilly. But a Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte contains 64 grams of sugar. Say whaaaat? All that sugar means the inevitable blood sugar crash, which will take all your energy, focus, and fat-burning potential with it!
I’m making it my mission to give you plenty of healthy alternatives this fall, and these healthy warmer uppers are some of my faves!! Leave the sugar-laden Starbucks beverages behind and opt for these healthy sippers instead. My Pumpkin Spice Latte and this deliciously spiced Turmeric Latte will warm you up, boost your immune system, fille your body with antioxidants and get rid of inflammation at the same time.
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte (makes 2 lattes)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups almond milk (or any plant-based milk)2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or preferred sweetener),
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso *See note
In a small saucepan, heat the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract & spices over medium-low heat. Stir constantly to combine well & prevent from burning. Warm for 1-2 minutes.
Turn up heat to medium and add the almond milk. Whisk for 3-4 minutes, until heated throughout. (don't boil)
Place mixture in a blender. Blend on high until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. (This will make the milk frothy too)
Add 1/4 cup hot espresso to each mug & pour pumpkin spice mixture on top.
*Optional: Top with vegan whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon and garnish with a cinnamon stick (doubles as a straw). Enjoy!
*If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch each of nutmeg, ground ginger and ground cloves.
*If you don't have an espresso maker, you can make it with 1/3 -1/2 cup strong coffee. It won't have the same rich taste as a classic latte, but it will still be delicious. 😃
Now, if you are looking for the perfect comfort drink that also helps your body with inflammation, you may want to try this delicious Golden Milk Latte. (aka Golden Milk) It’s full of natural anti-inflammatories, filling fiber, energizing protein, and only 2 grams of sugar. Yes Please!
Golden Milk Latte (makes 1 latte)
For Spice Paste:
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp black pepper ( it increases the effectiveness of the turmeric 1000%)
For Each Latte:
- 8 oz. unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp spice paste
1. To Make the Spice Paste:
Stir together all the ingredients in a small saucepan until well-combined.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes a thick paste, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Let the mixture cool, then store in a small jar in the refrigerator.
5. To Make the Latte:
Whisk together all the ingredients in a cooking pot and cook over medium heat until warm. (Do not allow to boil.) ….
if you like it frothy, add it to a blender.
Sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
And, if you can't decide which one you want, try this delicious pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte. It combines the best flavors of each.
Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte (makes 2)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 TBSP pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- dash of vanilla
- 1 scoop or 1 tsp of collagen protein (optional) this is a great way to add a superfood boost if you decided to use it.
1. Add coconut milk and coconut oil to a saucepan and simmer until oil is melted.
2. Add Spices to the saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Reduce to a simmer for about 2 minutes and gently whisk ingredients
3. Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
Cheers to loving the body you live in!!