It’s the holiday season and that means hot chocolate, bonfires, baking cookies, family gatherings, christmas carols, trimming the tree, turkey with all the fixings, shopping, work gatherings and for many people the addition of a few extra pounds. In fact, It’s common to pack on an additional 5-10 pounds during the holiday season. I love to celebrate the holidays!! To me, it’s about making memories and being intentional about the time spent with family and friends. With some intention and forethought, it can be absolutely magical without packing on the extra pounds. To help you put the fa la la into this special time of year, I’m going to share my top 10 tips to help you stay healthy and fit through the holidays.
1. Indulge in only the most special holiday treats.
Skip the store-bought cookies at Christmas, but do save some calories in your ‘budget’ to enjoy treats that are homemade and special to your family, such as your Grandma’s famous chocolate pecan pie or baklava. Training yourself what to indulge in and what to skip is much like budgeting your mad money: Do you want to blow it on garbage that you can buy anywhere or on a very special, one-of-a-kind souvenir? Enjoying these special treats is fine as long as it’s done in moderation. A few bites may be all you need. Likewise, don’t completely deprive yourself on festive days – your willpower will eventually snap, and you’ll end up overeating.
2. Eat a healthy snack before you head to a party
When I know I’m going to a party where there is likely to be a buffet of unhealthy foods, I usually eat a substantial snack that is full of nutrient dense calories before I leave. Homemade guacamole, hummus dip and veggies, an apple with natural nut butter, even a small bowl of chili will keep me satiated, so I don’t graze on foods that will make me feel bad tomorrow. Similarly, when headed to a gathering, I always bring a healthy appetizer to share. That way, I know at least one thing will be a good option for me. Shrimp, hummus, jalapenos stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in turkey bacon, a big festive salad are all great options when sharing an appetizer.
3. Move your Body! Exercise is just as important during the holidays as any other time of the year. As a goal, you should strive to be active at least four to five times a week, preferably with some aerobic exercise every day. When time is a factor, look for ways you can squeeze in a little extra movement. Park further away from the grocery store, wear your sneakers when you go Christmas shopping and take advantage of walking briskly through the mall. Keep some light hand weights under the coffee table and do some lunges while you are watching Rudolph with the kids. There is nothing wrong with multi-tasking if it means burning a few extra calories. And, while the temps may be colder, being active in Georgia is generally quite enjoyable. Look for a fun holiday themed race, gather the family and head to the Lanier night of lights, grab the kids and cut down your own Christmas tree or find an ice skating rink and burn some calories wilst channeling your inner Kristi Yamaguchi.
If you want a fun workout you can do in under 15 minutes, try this 12 days of Fitmas Workout for a total body, calorie busting, ab chiseling BURN!
4. Prevent illness and avoid injuries. Colds and the flu are most prevalent in the winter. Prevent them by washing your hands regularly and urging others to do the same. When I train my clients outdoors, I encourage them to wear layers as well as something to cover their heads, a vest to cover their core and some active gloves to keep the hands warm. When temps are colder, muscles are usually a little tighter. That said, It’s especially important to warm up adequately and finish with a good stretch to avoid pulling a muscle. Definitely don’t skimp here. The last thing you should be doing is a good HIIT workout and then sitting down in your car.
5. Calgon! Take Me Away! (Destress) While the holidays are full of special traditions, they can also be a source of added stress. All the extra social events, school programs, baking, prepping for parties can bring extra stress which will detract from the meaning of the holidays, to create beautiful memories with those you love. Perhaps you feel the financial stress of giving gifts or the potential stress of dealing with strained relationships or the absence of a loved one. Try to anticipate sources of stress and develop a plan to manage them. This may involve committing to fewer get-togethers, setting up boundaries for toxic family members, creating new memories/traditions, making a homemade gifts to save money, or delegating household chores to other family members. Prioritize the things that are most important to you and then let go of what you can.
6. Lend a Helping Hand
Depression and suicide increase during the holidays. If you know someone who is going through a hard time or you are feeling depressed yourself, look for ways you can help someone else. Diverting your attention to the needs of others takes the focus off of you and your own depression. Who do you know that can use a random act of kindness? Do you have a neighbor who needs help raking their leaves? Is there a single mom in your office who could use a turkey? Can you afford to pay for the groceries for the person behind you? Would your sick friend appreciate a pot of chicken soup? Even a hand -written note letting someone know you are thinking of them can make a huge difference to a person who is depressed. One of my favorite way to spread a little cheer is to SMILE and give someone a compliment. Even telling someone THEY have a beautiful smile or that you appreciate their help will go a long way in brightening someone's day. Helping others also brings immense satisfaction and can help alleviate your own personal pain you may be experiencing. I love the idea of expressing appreciation to those who make a difference in your life. Every person longs to feel appreciated. Why not help someone enjoy the holiday even more by sharing how they make an impact. And, If possible, invite those colleagues or friends who are alone over the holidays to spend them with you.
7. Treat yourself. The holiday spirit is about helping others around you, but you also have to make time to take care of yourself. So treat yourself with something special over the holidays. It may be as simple as sleep. Wake up late and enjoy a day of rest; you need it. How about reading that book while sipping on something warm and frothy? Do you like getting pampered? Go for that mani/pedi, schedule a massage or get your hair done. Take the time to do the things that make you happy and feel good about yourself. Your loved ones will appreciate it too.
8. Find Healthy Swaps for Seasonal Favorites
Are you still thinking about something warm and frothy?? You didn’t think I would leave you hanging did you? I love a good feel good beverage, and some of my favorites happen to be REALLY good for your body. Not only do I de-stress, but I can reduce inflammation, cravings, and belly fat at the same time. The key is to find some really good swaps for your seasonal favorites. Here are a few of my favorites:
Ultimate Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte
1 cup (240mL) almond milk
1 tbsp (15g) pumpkin purée
4 drops vanilla crème stevia, or adjusted to taste
⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
tiny pinch ground nutmeg
tiny pinch ground ginger
¾ cup (180mL) extra strong coffee
Add the milk and pumpkin to a small pot. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the mixture begins to simmer. Add in the stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Whisk the mixture until it becomes frothy.
Add the coffee to a large mug, and pour the milk mixture on top.
Golden Milk (serves 1)
¼ cup ground turmeric
½ cup water
Combine turmeric powder and water in a saucepan.
Simmer until mixture forms a thick paste.
Let cool, then store in fridge.
To make Golden Milk
1 cup unsweetened coconut, rice, or almond milk
¼ – 1/2 teaspoon turmeric paste (or just add powder)
1 teaspoon coconut oil
Few shakes of ground black pepper
Generous dash of vanilla
Raw local honey or maple syrup to taste
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Place 1 cup milk with turmeric paste, oil, black pepper, vanilla, and honey/maple syrup into a blender.
Blend on high briefly until combined and foamy.
Pour into cup, sprinkle with cinnamon, and serve.
9. Stock the freezer with healthy meals.
Everyone’s overly busy during the holidays, and most of us want to spend our time shopping, decorating, or seeing friends and family, which leaves less time to cook healthy meals. Be proactive several weeks ahead of time by cooking meals intended specifically for the freezer. You’ll be thankful later when you can pop one of the meals into the oven or microwave and turn your attention instead to writing out holiday cards with a personal message in each.
10. Keep the focus on fun, not food
Most holidays are associated with certain foods. Christmas at your house might not be the same without Aunt Milly’s green bean casserole, but that doesn’t mean food has to be the main focus. Instead, throw yourself into the other rituals a holiday brings, whether it’s caroling or tree trimming. I love to find fun ways to keep my clients motivated by incorporating things like the 12 days of FITMAS which is all about moving our bodies and celebrating the festive season at the same time. If you need some ideas or want some motivation to keep moving, be sure to follow my Facebook Fan Page, Body By Ruth. I’ll be sharing all sorts of fun ways to keep you moving and motivated as well as delicious meals that are friendly on your waistline. Need help reaching your fitness goals in the new year? I can help with that too. Check out my programs at bodybyruth.com! My next 8 week Bootcamp starts January 6 and you can do it ANYWHERE!!!!! So, if you are ready to make a change and you live in another part of the country, I've got you BOO! Just clck the link to learn more!
Here’s to helping you become the BEST version of you!
This is a very joyful day of my life because of the help PRIEST Salami has rendered to me by helping me get my ex-husband back with his magic and love spell. I was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was seeking a divorce but when I came across PRIEST Salami email on the internet on how he helped so many people to get their ex back and help to fix relationships. and make people happy in their relationship. I explained my situation to him and then sought his help but to my greatest surprise, he told me that he will help me with my case and here I am now celebrating because my Husband has changed totally for good. He always wants to be by me and can not do anything without my presence. I am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. I will keep on testifying on the internet because PRIEST Salami is truly a real spell caster. DO YOU NEED HELP THEN CONTACT DOCTOR PRIEST Salami NOW VIA EMAIL: email@example.com. Whatsapp number: +2348143757229 He is the only answer to your problem and makes you feel happy in your relationship…
Thank you sir for your genuine spells.This is really incredible,and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. Before i met you Sir,i have tried every possible means that i could to get my husband back,but i actually came to realize that nothing was working out for me,and that my husband had developed lot of hatred for me.. I thought there was no hope to reunite with my ex husband.But when i read good reviews about your work sir,i decided to give it a try and i did everything that you instructed me and i Trusted in you and followed your instructions just as you have guaranteed me in 48 hours,and that was exactly when my husband called me.. We are more contented now than ever.Everything looks perfect and so natural!Thank you so much for your authentic and indisputable spells. Thanks Sir for your help.So I promise to tell the world about you great seIf.you need help in your marriage of broken relationship,please contact Dr Adebayo odu right now for urgent help WhatsApp +234 912 431 4426 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org I want every one who is facing any problem should also give a testimony soon.Just like me today.
へおおれぜぞべのぢつ 카심바주소 https://instagrme.live 온라인슬롯머신게임 *0R 마이크로게이밍 블랙잭주소 헤븐카지노 라이브바카라 카심바슬롯 해외온라인카지노 온라인슬롯사이트 온라인바카라 바카라페어 온라인바카라 얀카지노 바카라이기는법 바카라 비바카지노 샌즈카지노먹튀 카심바주소 온라인바카라 바카라분석법 크레이지슬롯먹튀 포텐슬롯사이트 더나인카지노 포텐슬롯사이트 카지노다이사이 카지노게임 온라인바카라 https://instagrme.live 포텐슬롯사이트 마카오카지노 비바카지노쿠폰 https://instagrme.live 바카라사이트 바카라사이트주소 비바카지노 포텐슬롯주소 실시간바카라 실시간바카라사이트 바카라사이트 바카라검증사이트 온라인카지노 호게이밍 트럼프카지노먹튀 바카라시스템배팅 카심바슬롯 개츠비카지노 바카라배팅전략 비보게이밍 카심바슬롯 솔레어카지노 카지노게임 https://instagrme.live 카심바슬롯잭팟 MGM카지노 솔레어카지노 퍼스트카지노 로얄카지노쿠폰 메이저바카라 https://instagrme.live 카심바슬롯 카심바슬롯 바카라사이트 바카라이기는법 빅카지노 붐카지노 마이크로게임샌즈카지노먹튀 카지노슬롯사이트 룰렛게임 바카라보는곳 mongoangulam998 바카라사이트 맥스카지노 코인카지노007카지노 바카라사이트 카지노사이트바카라타이 온라인카지노 바카라승률 해외온라인카지노 바카라사이트 온라인카지노 카지노슬롯머신 온라인카지노슬롯머신 카심바주소 바카라배팅노하우 바카라게임사이트 메리트카지노 카심바주소 https://instagrme.live 카심바슬롯 바카라 카지노사이트주소 온라인카지노 mongoangulam998 트럼프카지노먹튀 샌즈카지노 타이산게임 카심바주소 https://instagrme.live 온라인슬롯머신게임 카지노사이트 카심바슬롯 바카라잘하는법 온라인바카라 오공슬롯먹튀 카심바슬롯 바카라필승법 스피드바카라 인터넷카지노 카심바슬롯 바카라이기는법 블랙잭추천 포텐슬롯 비바카지노쿠폰 로얄카지노쿠폰 타이산게이밍 007카지노 바카라규칙 바카라게임사이트 mongoangulam998 카지노베이 카심바주소 https://instagrme.live 온라인슬롯머신게임 카지노게임사이트 카심바슬롯 스핀슬롯 마카오카지노 맥스카지노 바카라주소 포텐슬롯 포텐슬롯 우리카지노먹튀 포텐슬롯 로얄카지노쿠폰 슬롯머신추천 홈카지노 해외슬롯사이트 바카라사이트추천 카지노사이트 비보게이밍 밀리언카지노 Q카지노 うぞょすぐ 포텐슬롯 카지노 메가슬롯먹튀 바카라 もぐくゑぅせけわむゑ